you're reading...
Data journalism, Data visualisation, How to guides, Mapping

Borders and boundaries: 16 Google Fusion border files for you to use

England deprivation mapped with Google Fusion

England deprivation mapped with Google Fusion

I’ve been building up a collection of border files for us to use in Google Fusion table maps – and these are the key ones. You can download these as KML files or as CSVs. Or merge them with your data. If you have a shp file you what to convert to Google Fusion tables try shpescape, which will do it for you.

And there’s a new site too which looks promising: Inquiron, which converts geofiles into a variety of formats.

Google’s Public Data explorer is a good place to find others too.

I would love this to become more comprehensive – do you have any borders you can share?

UK borders

1. Health boundaries (pre 2010)
  2. Health: New England health boundaries, Care Commissioning groups
  3. Local Authorities, UK (post-2010)
  4. Lower Super Output Areas (LSOAs, used for deprivation and census and updated after 2011)
  5. Middle Super Output Area (MSOA)
  6. Police Force Areas
  7. Regions

World and United States

1. US counties
  2. New York, Five Boroughs
  3. US states
  4. US Congressional Districts
  5. Afghanistan provinces
  6. France: Régions, Départements et Préfectures boundaries
  7. World borders (exc South Sudan)
  8. World borders (inc South Sudan)
  9. Venezuela provinces

About Simon Rogers

Data journalist, writer, speaker. Author of 'Facts are Sacred', from Faber & Faber and a new range of infographics for children books from Candlewick. Edited and launched the Guardian Datablog. Now works for Twitter in San Francisco as Data Editor

Discussion

20 thoughts on “Borders and boundaries: 16 Google Fusion border files for you to use

1. Hi Simon. Thanks for these files they have been massively useful. One thing I can’t seem to find is the boundaries for UK Parliamentary constituencies, do you have any idea where may have them?

Posted by meltwaterfalls | February 24, 2014, 4:40 pm
  2. This is great, trying to map recent fuel poverty stats. Thanks!!

Posted by Ian | November 4, 2013, 1:03 pm
  3. ONS’s new Open Geography Portal is a very useful source of UK boundary files. I’ve just blogged about this at http://ukdataexplorer.blogspot.co.uk/.

Posted by James Trimble | August 15, 2013, 6:29 pm
  4. Terrific work! This is the type of info that are supposed to be shared around the internet. Shame on the seek engines|Google} for no longer positioning this submit higher! Come on over and discuss with my website . Thank you =)

Posted by storgatan | February 6, 2013, 5:22 pm
  5. It’s actually the data here (http://www.education.gov.uk/researchandstatistics/datasets/a00196810/schools-pupils-and-their-characteristics-january-2) on Free School meals that I am trying to map (which I have seen on the Guardian already….). I tried using both the id codes and the names but it didn’t work. I went through the tutorial on your blog and that worked fine so not sure what I am doing wrong. Will keep trying!

Posted by Sandra Smith | February 1, 2013, 7:44 pm
  6. Hi. I’ve come to this via the comments page on the Guardian. I’m trying to map some DoE data:

using Fusion tables. When I try to merge the Local Authorities UK data with my data it says, ” Unable to perform merge….”. I can get it to work with this table here

but the coverage is very patchy – maybe only 15 % of LAs are being picked up. Any suggestions or alternative tables?

Posted by Sandra Smith | February 1, 2013, 2:35 pm
  7. FYI I tried to access your US counties file but got a permissions error.

Posted by Sharon Machlis | January 30, 2013, 2:03 pm
  8. Lovely work – thanks!

Posted by Simon Rogers | January 28, 2013, 10:06 pm
  9. Hi Simon, here’s a Fusion Table that I put together for Counties in England: https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=19DqHxxbkdgsEmXVooB7vRHRit8wVnVAEcP9W5lA

Posted by Adele Gilpin | January 28, 2013, 7:03 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Let’s draw maps | graphitti - April 15, 2014

2. Pingback: Reference people in data visualization | Lucía D. Bóveda - March 16, 2014

3. Pingback: Mapping with Google Fusion Tables | Lucía D. Bóveda - March 16, 2014

4. Pingback: 6 useful Google Fusion border files | Duarte Romero Varela - October 1, 2013

5. Pingback: How to draw your own Fusion table maps « ROB GRANT - February 17, 2013